Posted by Heart Hugger on Aug 7, 2018 10:07:00 AM
As a trained medical professional, not only are you tasked with helping patients through difficult health issues, but you are also tasked with finding the medical solutions that make the most sense for your patient and your hospital. The Heart Pillows (also known as cough or cardiac pillows) that are distributed at hospitals, although they are well-known and widely used, are actually ineffective for patients and cause hospitals more money in the long run. Heart Pillows serve as great memento’s and may provide a little mental comfort for patients, but nothing more than that.
The Lack of Evidence for Heart Pillows
Simply put, there is no evidence that Heart Pillows are an effective way to help patients heal after heart surgery or that they help reduce the number of complications that arise following surgery. There is also no evidence that Heart Pillows can serve as a therapeutic aid to patients.
Although believed to be a viable solution for patients in pain, Heart Pillows are a placebo and can cost hospitals tremendously in the future. Here are a few facts about the use of the pillow:
- It is unable to reduce sternal wound infections (DSWI), which results in high costs to hospitals.
- It cannot splint the sternotomy, and it puts downward pressure on the wound.
- It cannot function as consistent support as it must be held in place by the patient when it’s needed.
- The pillow always risks introducing infection as it is in constant contact with environmental surfaces such as car seats, couches, floors, etc.
- The pillow promotes a more sedentary recovery, which is precisely the opposite of what should be happening following heart surgery.
- There are no evidence-based guidelines for post-surgical care using the pillow.
- The pillow does not help reduce a patient’s pain level.
- The pillow also does not help give patients the confidence needed to perform their respiratory exercises without fear of making their wound worse.
The claims made by Heart Pillow manufacturers would lead one to believe that they have tested and proved the pillow to be a viable sternal support, but that just isn’t the case. The Heart Pillow has slipped through the cracks of today’s evidence-based medicine.
Heart Hugger, on the other hand, is a clinically proven solution that provides the support patient’s need while substantially decreasing the risk of complications following heart surgery. If you are a medical professional who wants to learn more about the benefits of Heart Hugger for patients and hospitals, go to our resource page for healthcare professionals or contact us.