Posted by Heart Hugger on Jan 24, 2019 1:45:34 PM
It's important to be patient during your heart surgery recovery period, allowing yourself ample time to recover. From replenishing your blood supply to regaining your pre-surgery strength and endurance, your body has a big job ahead. Expecting too much too soon can put unnecessary strain on your body and even lengthen your heart surgery recovery period.
Here are a few simple tips for helping you make good choices after your surgery.
- Be diligent about taking your medications. Your medications will help speed your recovery and help you feel better during the process.
- Follow your doctor's recommendations about movement and exercise. Your exercise program is just as important as your medication schedule. You'll feel better by incorporating approved movement and a walking program as a part of your heart surgery recovery plan.
- Move with care. It's important to protect your incision and breastbone during movement, and that's where Heart Hugger comes in. The Heart Hugger Sternum Support Harness allows patients to stabilize the wound area, relieving the pain that can accompany movement, including coughing, sneezing, changing positions, and participating in the exercises approved by your doctor. Heart Hugger can help you feel more comfortable by stabilizing the wound area.
- Be patient with yourself. Trying to do things too quickly can be counterproductive. Talk with your doctor, caregiver, family members, and friends if you're feeling overwhelmed or frustrated about your recovery. You may need to reevaluate your exercise program or add activities that get you out of the house or that stimulate your mind.
- Call your doctor if you have any concerns. Some symptoms warrant a call to your doctor and should not be overlooked. It's critical to let your doctor know if something seems amiss or you experience any of the symptoms included in your post-heart surgery instructions.
Heart Hugger helps patients feel more confident and independent during their heart surgery recovery period. To learn more about how Heart Hugger can help you, contact us today!